DOWNLOAD A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century By Paul Kengor PDF Free
Download A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century By Paul Kengor
Format: PDF, ePub, Kindle, TXT
Avaiable for iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Nook, PC and eReaders
A Singular Bond That Changed History
Even as historians credit ÂRonald Reagan and Pope John PaulÂ II with hastening the end of the Cold War, they have failed to recognize the depth or significance of the bond that developed between the two leaders.
Acclaimed scholar and bestselling author Paul Kengor changes that. In this fascinating book, he reveals a singular bondâwhich included a spiritual connection between the Catholic pope and the Protestant presidentâthat drove the two men to confront what they knew to be the great evil of the twentieth century: Soviet communism.
Reagan and John PaulÂ II almost didnât have the opportunity to forge this relationship: just six weeks apart in the spring of 1981, they took bullets from would-be assassins. But their strikingly similar near-death experiences brought them close togetherâto Moscowâs dismay.
A Pope and a President is the product of years of research. Based on Kengorâs tireless archival digging and his unique access to Reagan insiders, the book reveals:
- The inside story on the 1982 meeting where the president and the pope confided their conviction that God had spared their lives for the purpose of defeating communism
- Captivating new information on the attempt on John PaulÂ IIâs life, including a Âpreviously unreported secret CIA investigationâwas Moscow behind the plot?
- The many similarities and the spiritual bond between the pope and the presidentâand how Reagan privately spoke of the âDPâ: the Divine Plan to take down communism
- New details about how the Protestant Reagan became intensely interested in the âsecrets of FÃ¡tima,â which date to the reported apparitions of the Virgin Mary at FÃ¡tima, Portugal, starting on MayÂ 13, 1917âÂsixty-four years to the day before John PaulÂ II was shot
- A startling insider account of how the USSR may have been set to invade the popeâs native Poland in March 1981âonly to pull back when news broke that Reagan had been shot
Nancy Reagan called John PaulÂ II her husbandâs âclosest friendâ; Reagan himself told Polish visitors that the pope was his âbest friend.â When you read this book, you will understand why. As kindred spirits, Ronald Reagan and John PaulÂ II united in pursuit of a supreme objectiveâand in doing so they changed history.